Eileen Paternostro RN MS CSN
Hillside Avenue School
125 Hillside Avenue Cranford NJ 07016
908-709-6242 (phone) 908-709-6752 (fax)
I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Eileen Paternostro and I am the new School Nurse at Hillside Avenue School. I have been a school nurse for 12 years and am really enjoying my transition to Hillside Avenue School. The students, parents/guardians, staff and administration have been very supportive to me.
The role of the Hillside Avenue Schooll Nurse is to provide health and nursing services for students inGrades K-8. The goal of the Nurse's Office is to support the educational process by promoting optimum wellness and working closely with parents/guardians, teachers and administrator; assess and evaluate the health need of students; and to accomodate students with specific health health concerns according to the National Association of School Nurses.
There are 5 ways a School Nurse benefits a school:
- School nurses improve attendance through health promotion and disease prevention and management. We perform health screenings every year for each student and follow-up with parents/guardians as needed. School nurses are an important liaison between schools, parents/guardians, physician and community agencies.
- School nurses help help improve academics by helping students stay healthy to remain in the classroom ready to learn by providing assessment and provision of inital care for illness/injury and providing medications and treatments to all students in need of health services.
- School nurses help save time by attending to the needs of students. The School Nurse participates in the identifiaction, referral and health appraisal with the Child Study Team and 504 Team.
- School nurses help with staff wellness, manages the automatic defibillator, and designates and trains others in the administration of epinephrine and glucagon for when the nurse is not present.
- School nurses assist with accountability by following State and Federal Guidelines in compliance with state imunization requirements, maintaining health records, and preparing for emergencies.